Black Country Muse



Post Reply
Forum Home > Murder Case Reviews > Charles Longmore, Walsall, 1914.

Site Owner
Posts: 1413

Thank you Karen, for enlightening me on a few more facts for this case. It would appear, that at the inquest, and indeed, at the trial, some witness's were a bit economical with the truth. That old saying again, " Never speak ill of the dead ", seems to have been at work. Charles Longmore, contrary to what was said, did not have such a happy marriage as portrayed. His wife, Sarah, was a woman who liked a few drinks, could be a bit argumentative, and seems to have bullied her husband, who would today be described as " henpecked ".  Oh, and she liked to spread her charms around a bit as well. The supposed visit to the Theatre, was obviously an expression meant to disguise the fact she had been out on the razzle. All this, now explains why his sentence was reduced to a term of imprisonment, the Home Secretary deciding that Longmore had been goaded beyond endurance by his wife. That it was imprisonment, is almost certain, for his name does not appear on any of the rolls of the mental insititutions of the time. His family must have forgiven him as well, because he died back in Walsall, in 1939, aged 77. So there it is then, a case now as clean a sweep as you will find.


A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

March 8, 2013 at 3:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Posts: 1

Charles Longmore was my great great grandfather. My family have always stated that he killed Sarah after coming home from the pub and his dinner was not ready, so during an argument, he threw a pair of scissors which killed Sarah after hitting her in the neck!

I have researched the case through the Walsall Observer and National Archive Prison records, and read the Trial and Inquest reports and agree with Alaska in that some witness's were a bit economical with the truth.

Charles was initially sentenced to death and imprisoned at Stafford Prison. After his reprieve and the sentence being commuted to life, he was transferred to Maidstone Prison and eventually to Parkhurst Prison. He was released from there on 30 July 1925 on ill health grounds, claiming to be close to death...then proceeded to live another 14 years, dying in Walsall in 1939.

November 3, 2013 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.