Black Country Muse



Post Reply
Forum Home > Murder Case Reviews > Samuel Twigg, Bilston,1860.

Site Owner
Posts: 1413

When I originaly put this deed on my Foul Murders Page, I did not have the space to include it all. A little more information has come to light since, and following a request from a distant relative, here it is. Samuel Twigg had, some time before he stabbed his wife, suffered from two head injuries, not the one,  according to his Solicitor, Mr Robinson. It has to said though, that the injuries were a direct result of his excessive drinking, and argumentative and bullying nature. On the night of the murder, Richard Lloyd, the landlord of the Union Inn, stated he was well drunk at 11pm, but strangely, doesn't seem to have refused him more ale. The first place his wife ran too, was her brother Thomas Walton and wife Maria, at their house in the same court. Another neighbour, Mary Swain, quickly dressing, ran to the High Street, to fetch Dr Larkin, who, having patched up the wound, saw it had badly damaged her Liver, and told her there was nothing more that anyone could do. She was reported to have said, " In the past I have had to jump out of the bedroom window several times to escape him. I am aware of the danger I am in - and I know I have no hope of recovery ". Both she and the Doctor were correct, for at 11pm on the 25 July, 1860, she passed away.

The inquest, which as usual was held quickly held, was in the charge of Mr W.H. Phillips, at another local pub, The Bird in Hand. In his notes, the deputy Coroner described Samuel Twigg thus, " Short in stature, of by no means pleasing countenance. He wears a slight beard and moustache of jet black, and is dressed much worse than  men of his trade normally are. He has the appearence of a foreigner. "  Evidence was heard regarding the finding of the remains of his knife in the fire, his denial of the crime, and his accusation that his wifes cousin had committed the crime. Non of this would go down well at his trial, in Stafford, in December, where the Jury annouced to Baron Wilde, the verdict of Guilty of Wilful Murder. The Judge donned the black cap, pronounced the deat sentence, and set the date for for the 5th January,1861, which incidently was a Saturday, which meant a large crowd for the event.

They began turning up on the friday night, arriving on the late trains and a couple of specials, put on specially for the purpose. Those that couldn't afford the fare, arrived throughout the bitterly cold night, on foot and by cart, some of them watching the erection of the scaffold. By 8am, the time set for execution, the scaffold was ready, the area around the front of the prison sealed off by the Chief Constable, Colonel Hogg, and over 4,000 assembled to watch the spectacle. He was reported to have a haggard expression, as he was led to the drop, and without uttering a single word, was despatched by George Smith, with only a few convulsive movements, into the great unknown. He was buried in the confines of the prison, covered with quick lime.


A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

March 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.