Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > Guest & Rudge Family

Tidgy

Hello,

I've come accross your excellent site while researching my family tree. I've become fascinated by this area after discovering that my Ancestors lived in Halesowen from at least 1787 to the latest 1950. The two surnames of my Ancestors are Guest (of Webs? Green Cottages) and Rudge (Birmingham Street). Both families were Nailers in Halesowen throughout the 19th Century.

I'd like to find out if my Guest Ancestors were the Guest Nail Masters, but i'm not sure where I can get this information confirmed.

I don't live in Halesowen area, but I am planning to visit so that I can learn more about the history of the area.

If there are any pointers anyone could give me to help me in my research then I would welcome them. This site has proved very informative and i'm sure I will keep returning to it over the coming months to complete my journey.

Tidgy

July 11, 2012 at 9:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Well Tidgy, there was certainly a Guest and Company operating in Halesowen's Cornbow in the 1890s, but whether or not they are connected to your family, will show up in your research. Webbs Green, was a small inhabited area, about halfway up the old Manor Lane. Listed among the tenants, are Nailers, Bricklayers, and Agricultural Labourers. There was also a small Pottery on the site, and it dates back to 1800, or even before. In my Maps Album, it's shown in the Halesowen,1830 map. ( No11 ) To assist you further, I have also included two other maps, No 42/43, dated from around 1910, which is more detailed. If you need any help with searching names, click the contact button and let me know.

All the best.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael Leedham

In 1861 my g grandfather went to  the gold mines in Waverley Canada he went with 3 brothers and friends one name Alfred Rudge I also remember a Rudge family in Downing st. Halesowen. Any connection.

Mike

--

February 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deb

Hi Tidgy,

My great great grandfather was nailmaker FELIX RUDGE born 1849 and lived in notorious Islington (though don't know if that's the name of a street or a certain area of Halesowen.) His parents were RICHARD RUDGE and MATILDA HACKETT.  I have no info or connection with the Guests, though.

Best wishes, Debra

April 4, 2013 at 7:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.