Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Mining History. > Ramrod Hall Farm, Rowley Regis.

Alaska.
Site Owner

Ramrod Hall Farm. Hadley Family. Ramrod Colliery.

In response to an e-mail enquiry, and thank you for the interest, I can find no records of the mining death mentioned at Ramrod Hall Colliery. There is however, the recorded death of a George Hadley, born in 1841, at the Holt Colliery, Cakemore, on 16 July,1856. He lived at a Farm in Mincing Lane, Rowley Regis, and was 15 when he died. Apparently, he serverly strained himself while jumping into the skip as it was returning to the surface, on the 27 June. He was employed as a dirt carrier, and the pit was owned by Joseph Bennitt and Sons. Interestingly, the Hadley Family seem to have been about as lucky at mining, as they were at managing money. Just two years later, and Benjamin Hadley, born in 1818, while working as a banksman at the Highfield Colliery, ( owned by Henry Wilkins ) fell down the shaft while hooking on the tubs. He was reputed to have been a very drunken 40 year old at the time. Five years later, and John Hadley, born in 1847, working for W.H.Dawes, at the Withymoor Colliery, failed to heed a warning to get out of the way as they bought down a large quantity of coal. Just turned 16, he was crushed to death. Finally, in 1870, Samuel Hadley, born in 1846, and was probably Johns brother, was injured on 23 December in an explosion of firedamp at Messers Hingley's Gawn Colliery. He never recovered and died on 23 Febuary 1871, aged 24. I hope this helps a little, in sorting out some of your family tree. They all appeared to have lived in Mincing Lane, at the farm that was later called Ramrod Hall Farm, after the first Colliery closed down. There is a picture of the old farm in the Gallery.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

April 19, 2012 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

As little extra side to your family history, I came across an unusual entry in some Court records concerning another of the Hadley Family. This part of the clan lived not far away from the Farm, just down the road in fact, in Causeway Green. The cottage was situated near Penncricket Lane and Ashes Road are today and the head of the clan was Thomas Hadley, Nailer, and his wife, Ann Parkes. The story though is about his eldest son, William Hadley, who was born in 1829, and maybe wasn't quite right in the head. Sometime, in early 1848, when the flowers were starting to show, and the lambs were leaping with joy, like all other young men, his thoughts turned to Love. A local Farmer, and it may have been the tenant of Lower Holt Farm, noticed a young man in one of fields, acting in a rather furtive manner. When he approached, as you do, his attention was drawn to the young mans state of dress, ( or undress )  and his close proximity to one of his animals. To wit, one fine Ass. Suspecting that something was amiss here, he informed the local Constable, who after some brief, but firm questioning, arrested William Hadley. His appearence, on a charge of " Attempting an un-natural act with an Ass ", caused a bit of excitement at Worcester Quarter Sessions, and quite a few ribald comments. When it was explained that the lad was bit simple, and of course the Ass was staying quiet about the incident, the Jury, no doubt having run out of suitable jokes, aquitted him. When researching a bit further, and coming to the Census for 1861, I found that some insanity may well have been evident in the family, for his younger brother, Thomas Hadley, has the word " Idiot ", written where it would normal give his status, i.e. married or single. I couldn't have put it better myself.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.