Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > Cole Farm Colliery

esplynn

I have been researching my family history my 3x great grandfather was Henry Edwards 1809 Denbighshire Wales.  In 1833 he married Priscella Crowder in Dudley Worcester in 1841 census Henry & Priscella have 2 children Ann & William & are living in Dudley Staffordshire also living with them is Priscella's brother Edward Crowther/Crowder Henry is a miner.  In 1851 Henry & Priscella are still living in Dudley Staffordshire with 6 children in 1861 Priscella is a widow still living in Sedgley/Dudley Staffordshire with her children.

I found a death record for Henry Edwards 22 December 1865 also in uk mining accidents for H Edwards birth 1809 event death age 47 death date 22 december 1856 death place Deepfields  Stafford,occupation butty, colliery No 13 owner H B Whitehouse notes fall of coal in new mine.

I have just receved Death Certificate for Henry Edwarda witch conferms his age 47 & date of death 22 december 1856 his occupation is Butty Miner cause of death Fracture of the neck causing Instant Death place of death Cole Farm Colliery.

Could anyone give me some infomation about this colliery or Henry's fatal accident as i can find no infomation on Cole Farm Colliery/Colliery No 13. 

appreciate any help on this 

Lynn 

September 19, 2015 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pedro

Earlier on the Forum, Sep 2012, Cole Farm Colliery was discussed by Alaska. The location was Hill Top, West Bromwich and likely start being 1849....also that the owners were Emmanuel Jones, Withers, and Morris. At it's peak in mid 1890s the mine employey 18 men underground, and 4 men on the surface.

Looking in the Newspaper Archives there is no reference to Henry Edwards, but around 1866 there is Cole's Farm Colliery, West Bromwich, owned by the Birmingham Canal Company. In 1890 the proprietor was reported as John Phillips.

The Pit must have been in use before 1849 as in January 1839 a Thomas Purvey fell down the pit a distance of 130 feet. the accident was attributed to the waggon slipping off the pit mouth, from the frost, while the deceased was going to step on it.

September 20, 2015 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

esplynn

Thank you for your reply  i had a look at Alaskas posts & no mention of H B Whitehoues as a mine owner.  I also looked in the Newspaper Archives bu found  nothing about Henry's fatal accident.

Thanks for your help i will keep on looking

September 21, 2015 at 2:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.