Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Dead and Buried. > Richard III, 1452 - 1485.

Alaska.
Site Owner

I sometimes dispair, at the sheer ignorance some folk have, of this Countries history.  A thank you, to all have contacted me, and I wasn't going to respond on the website, but a few facts seem to have gone astray. I do wish all those who have quickly bashed out their opinions had first done a little reading. For a start, he was not born in Yorkshire, but at Fotheringhay Castle, on 22 October,1452. Anyone with an I.Q above 50, would know that the County in question, is Northamptonshire, not Yorkshire. Its an accepted fact, thanks to one Peter Floss, that the battle was fought 2 miles away from Ambion Hill, just north of a little village called Dadlington. Its also a fact, that most of the dead from the battle, ( both sides ) were all buried at the villages Church, Saint James. The only one that wasn't, was Richard III, who, naked and strapped on a horse, was taken back to the last large Town he had been in, Leicester, for public display. ( How else could Henry Tudor prove he was actually dead ) When the Licence to dig at the old Greyfriers site was granted, they had to agree, ( standard procedure ) how any human remains that were uncovered, would be dealt with. The agreed method, was a proper re-interment, in the confines of Leicester Cathedral. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with the current situation, which from the point of view of many, is simply someone  trying to jump on a bandwaggon in the furtherence of greed. Our present Queen, ( god bless you m'am ) also has no say in the matter, even if she had any link to the dead King, which she doesn't. The matter rests entirely with the good folk who found his remains. They have decided on Leicester Cathedral, and that, sometime in 2014, is where he will be re-interred. The only other spot they could have sensibly chosen, was back in Dadlington, alongside the other brave souls, who also fell in battle that day, 22nd August,1485. Well, you asked me, and now you know.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

February 6, 2013 at 3:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Michael Leedham

Dennis....A great post all what I have been saying, I was on a site (you know which) it is amazing how many thicko's are ignorant of our great british history and heritage....but you ask them how many goals was scored at a match...Mexico 1956....and they will soon tell you !!!

there is no excuse for not knowing history of our Mother country.

--

February 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Well, as expected, the saga of who gets the old bones of Richard III is developing into a rush to make a few bob. It appears, that 15  'relatives' , have now added their names to a petition to have the relics buried at York Minster. They have, it's reported, plans to take the matter, via a Judicial Review, to the European Court of Human Rights. Based, it seems, on the right to a Family life, arguing that the " family " were not consulted prior to the late lameted King being dug up. The mind truly boggles. For a start, there was no expectation of actually finding anything, let alone any bones being identified as his. The Law states, that any bones over 100 years old, on being found and identified, does not require the permission of any relatives to dig them up. That's how room in our many Cemeteries is made for fresh burials. I fail to grasp, how following the Law to the letter, is viewed by these mis-guided people as now being unlawful. My entire sympathies, are with the people who trusted their instincts, raised the money, and dug up the Car Park in the first place. I did notice though, that the Licence they have, allows them to bury the remains in a place where such events are Legal, so maybe they might give a few thoughts to laying him to rest back at  Dadlington. At least he will be near to some of his long dead comrades-in-arms, even it it has taken over 500 years. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised to hear, that this group of petitioners will soon be asking for taxpayers money to " fight " the case.

--

March 27, 2013 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

And as I predicted, as sure as " eggs is eggs", the opposition has now asked, nay, demanded, a Judicial Review, paid for by you and me, in an attempt to reverse the status quo. Today, if you look at the date I posted this, is the anniversary of the Battle, in 1485. I would have used the rather overworked phrase, " he would be spinning in his grave  ", but for the fact that he couldn't, could he, for to date, thanks to what I call a bit of opportunistic lobbying, he doesn't yet have one. Mind you, another famous english monarch, King John, was so disliked when he died, and I don't know why, he had to be intombed by the good folk of Worcester, or else his corpse would have been thrown in the Thames. There's a similarity there, but I haven't seen or heard of a petition to have him buried elswhere. Perhaps they should have left Richard III under the car park, for apart from a few excess parking charges, it would have been cheaper to let things be.

--

August 22, 2013 at 10:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.