Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Tale's from the region. > West Bromwich Albion.1883 and 1912.

Alaska.
Site Owner

Having done a short piece on Wednesbury football club, its only fair, as some members have suggested, to do a little bit on their next door neighbours, West Bromwich Albion. So we go back to a time, when the height of fashion, so it seems, appears to be a haircut with a centre parting. In 1883 then, it was the good old Bowler Hat, for the management, not the rather scruffy image of an oil soaked flat cap. In the picture below, they don't seem to have bothered with shin pads, despite some wicked looking studs in those boots. Mind you, this was taken after they won the cup, proudly displayed on the table in the middle. What Cup! I hear someone say, why the Staffordshire County Challenge Cup of course, worth a lot of money in those days, 50 Guineas no less. They had travelled all the way to the Potteries, to wrest this valuable item from the clutches of Stoke, on Saturday, 21st April, who had won it the previous year. As well as the Cup, the victorious team returned with a Gold Medal each, Stoke being presented with Silver ones. It was a big event in 1883, trains departed from all parts of the county to carry the supporters, arriving before the kick-off at 4.pm. I presume they had a late start, to allow the fans time to down a few pints of the excellent local brew, which, from the rather grumpy look on the winners face's, they may have also tasted. They do have a slightly hungover look, don't they. Unlike today, the price of admission was accepted as reasonable, just 6d for the one stand, and 1s for the other, and tickets could be purchased at either Town, or even on the train. So what was the score, why it was 3 goals to 2 at the final whistle, Albion being favourites at the start, only having lost just the one match in the competition, Stoke having lost seven. Now I don't know where the picture was taken, but I will hazard a guess at behind the Council House, or in Dartmouth Park. There's only one figure in the picture whom you could put a name to, and thats the man on the right, wearing a jumper and what look like a pair of long johns, R. Roberts, the goal keeper. The rest are, H. Bell, J. Stanton, E. Horton, F. Bunn, J. White, H. Aston, J. Whitehouse, G. Timmins, G. Bell, and W. Bissaker. This is maybe the earliest photograph of West Bromwich Albion, can anyone name the men in the bowlers?

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

January 16, 2013 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

And while on the subject of the " Baggies ", does anyone have a relative among the brave souls, who drew 0 - 0, with Barnsley at Crystal Palace, in the F.A. Cup Final of 1912. The replay was the next week at Sheffield Uniteds, Bramhall Lane ground, when, with three minutes of extra time left, Barnsley scored. I suspect the picture was taken before the match at Crystal Palace.

From the left at the back. D G Nurse, ( Director ) G. Baddeley, Hubert Pearson ( Goalkeeper ), S.Bowser, W.I.Bassett, ( Chairman ) W. Barber, ( the rather prtly trainer ) R.Pailor, Fred Everiss.( Secretary ) In the middle, A.F.Cook, W.H.Keys, ( Founder and life member ) Jesse Pennington, ( Captain of note ) R.Mcneal, A.Seymour, ( Director ) Fred Buck. On the ground, A.Claude Jephcote, B.Shearman, and Harry Wright.

Most of them were local lads, so if you have a relative among them, do let me know.

--

April 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Downingman

Alaska. at April 25, 2014 at 3:27 PM

And while on the subject of the " Baggies ", does anyone have a relative among the brave souls, who drew 0 - 0, with Barnsley at Crystal Palace, in the F.A. Cup Final of 1912. The replay was the next week at Sheffield Uniteds, Bramhall Lane ground, when, with three minutes of extra time left, Barnsley scored. I suspect the picture was taken before the match at Crystal Palace.

From the left at the back. D G Nurse, ( Director ) G. Baddeley, Hubert Pearson ( Goalkeeper ), S.Bowser, W.I.Bassett, ( Chairman ) W. Barber, ( the rather prtly trainer ) R.Pailor, Fred Everiss.( Secretary ) In the middle, A.F.Cook, W.H.Keys, ( Founder and life member ) Jesse Pennington, ( Captain of note ) R.Mcneal, A.Seymour, ( Director ) Fred Buck. On the ground, A.Claude Jephcote, B.Shearman, and Harry Wright.

Most of them were local lads, so if you have a relative among them, do let me know.

My grandfather was Fred Buck. I have loaned his His Runners Up medal for the 1912 Final to the club museum, with some other of his medals and his two League of England shirts.

i also have a Wedgewood biscuit barrel presented to him and and his wife on his wedding in 1913 by H Keys, as well as a large silver and ivory three-handled loving cup.

He finished his football career at Swansea, owned a pub (the Victoria) in Rugby till his wife's death in 1931. He died in Stafford in 1952.

May 13, 2014 at 5:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Thank you Geoff for sharing your great memories of your Grandfather, Fred Buck. Most of all, thank you for the fantastic pictures you have contributed to the website. For any interested, they can be seen in the " Faces from the Past " album.

--

December 17, 2015 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.