Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Murder Case Reviews > William Steventon. Oldbury.1828.

Alaska.
Site Owner

Some small confusion over the name here, as in the Assize records for Shropshire, in 1828, his given name is William Stevenson, aka, " Billy Sugar ". ( see Worcestershire Hangings and Punishments ) The very fact that he was hanged for a dispicable murder, would have, understandably, led to his surviving relatives changing it slightly. Both names are also given in a report of the crime in the Birmingham Gazette, dated Monday 7th April,1828. Even more confusion, with the name, occurs when another William Steventon was hanged at Stafford, many years later. One things for certain, he did not come from Tipton, Staffordshire, although he may have resided in the place, as he was christened at the Presbyterian Church, Oldbury, on 30th September, 1796, which was under the jurisdiction of Halesowen, which as everyone knows, is in Worcestershire. His fathers name was Benjamin, and his mothers name Sarah, both of whom were native to the area, so tracing his family line shouldn't be that difficult. That puts his age at execution, given that he wouldn't have been christened at birth, at almost 32. The other anomaly is the Public, or Beer house, in which he committed the murder. One account says the Whimsey, Churchbridge, Oldbury, and the other, the Black Horse, in Halesowen, ( take your pick) which meant of course, that both came under the County of Shropshire, not Staffordshire. The whole sad episode left 12 children fatherless, Hortons wife being pregnant at the time with their 6th child, and Steventon having fathered at least 6.  If anyone has the trial record from 1828, please let me know if it states the location, I would be extremely grateful.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

November 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

I will leave the last word on this subject, to the Rev George Barrs, who on the 17th August,1828, used the text from James (i) 15 in his sermon.

Then lust having conceived, brought forth sin, and sin finished, bringing forth death."

Rev Barrs went on to comment on the depraved lifestyle of the hanged man, William Steventon, a condition he had followed since his childhood. He had been to Bull-baiting, was involved in Cock-fighting, and so much drunken debauchery it was impossible even for the Lord to keep count. All this, said the Reverend, the man, on the gallows had attributed to his downfall, and he had begged his brothers and children not to break the Sabbath or else they would find themselves punished as he was. The Church as usually was packed. The Rev Barr never missed a chance to get his message across, nor pass the hat around.

--

February 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

It was, it appears, the Whimsey Inn, Halesowen Street, Oldbury, in which the murder took place. After much diligent searching, a picture of the old Pub has emerged, and you can see it in the Pubs Album in the Gallery.

--

October 29, 2013 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.