Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Memorabilia From the past. > Romsley. A Saints Day.

Alaska.
Site Owner

I have just been reminded, that way back in the year 821, a young man, Prince Kenelm, was brutally murdered, in a Forest, on the slopes of the Clent Hills. We were taught this at my junior School, by a woman who had a passion for history. ( Although her main interest was in the Cavalier fashion of Charles I ) The young lad was the son of the Mercian King Kenwulph, who had died in 819. His wicked sister Quendryda, with an eye on the throne, had her alleged lover, Ascobert, take him on hunting trip, and once in the woods, lopped off his head with a single blow. Myth has it, that a Dove flew off to Rome, grassed up the old bat, and they both got their just desserts. At the spot where he was found, in present day Romsley, a spring sprang up, ( were they, I wonder, having the same dreadful weather we have ) so they built a Chapel on the site and called it Saint Kenelm's. He isn't however buried there, but for some reason, ( possibly a Monastic connection ) he lies at Winchcombe Abbey, Gloucestershire. The reason I have had my memory jogged, is that the 17th July, the day of the foul deed, is the Celebration of the event. I hope it doesn't rain on the big day, either at Clent, Romsley, or Winchcombe. Picture by Geoff Gartside.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 3, 2012 at 3:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Saint Kenelm, Romsley and the Clent Hills.

For the younger reader, who possibly didn't have to sit through many lessons in local history, Saint Kenelm is mentioned in Chaucers Canterbury Tales. From Winchcombe Abbey, pilgrims set off to walk the 60 odd miles to Hailes Abbey, (Halesowen)  paying their respects to the Saint at Romsley.  Along the ancient route, there was the Abbey at Tewkesbury, monastic settlements at Pershore and Evesham, and many other old Churches. There are several other Churches, dedicated to the Saint, Minster Lovall near Witney, and Church Enstone near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire. One at Sapperton in Gloucestershire, and one at Clifton-upon-Teme, in Worcestershire.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.