Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Beliefs and other Oddities. > Titanic Myth.

Alaska.
Site Owner

After several enquiries, and not a few " facts " being offered, I have to say that some of them are merely myths. The Anchor depicted in the Gallery, is the Ships side anchor. Yes, she did have three, and this one was the heaviest, at 11 tons 6 cwts.

The famous picture of over twenty horses, drawing it out of the works and up the hill, was a company publicity stunt. It was only taken as far as Lloyds Testing shop, just up the road. The main journey, for all three anchors, was by Traction Engine, and then by rail, via Wolverhampton to Fleetwood, Lancashire. The quiz question is also wrong, the Titanic's anchors were used. It was known, when she was built, that some ports and harbours would not accomodate her size, and Queenstown, in Ireland, was one of them. (so all the anchors were tested prior to her sea trials.) When she stopped to pick up passengers there, she anchored offshore, and the transfer was done by steam tenders. There's a picture somewhere, of the operation, on a Titanic website, sorry, at the moment I can't remember which one. And just for good measure, the owners decided to make these vessels, a bit different from the other large ships. Olympic, Titanic, and Britannic, were all given a fourth funnel, non of them served a useful purpose, being dummys. It's the one nearest to the stern, or for the less familiar with maritime matters, the one at the blunt end. Black Country firms, contributed a great deal of other items, which went into the building of all three ships, from rivets to engine parts. Pictures in the Gallery.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Well it's almost here, a 100 years since Captain Edward John Smith, an earlier but bearded version of Stirling Moss, drove the RMS Titanic, at high speed, into the History Books. There are several " New Books " about the disaster, a series of films on TV, and endless newspapers articles on the subject. One item of interest though, is an exhibition about the ship at Avery's Museum, in Smethwick. Examples of the many castings, and other stuff made in the midlands for the ship and it's sisters, are on display. Well worth the visit, and if the subject interests you, I suggest you read the report from the Board of Trade Inquiry, published in 1912. It's a real eye opener for those who believe the film version, and explodes some other so called Titanic ' facts'. There were no metal gates fitted to the ship, to keep lower class passengers from reaching the lifeboats, and no one opened fire on any passengers during the panic either. Oh, and I do believe it mentions what the ships orchestra was doing just before the ship went down, and it wasn't playing ' nearer my god to thee '. Happy reading.

--

April 3, 2012 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Spare a thought though, on the day, for the anguish that poor iron puddler Richard Davies, and his wife Mary, must have gone through. The whole of Oak Lane, West Bromwich, and Harwood Street, would also have been in a state of shock when news came, that three of Richard and Mary's sons, had perished in the disaster. Alfred J Davies, 24, John Samuel Davies, 21, and Joseph Davies, 17, had all paid out £7 each ( about £520 in todays money ) on tickets. Looking for a fresh start in the new world, all they got was a ticket to ever lasting peace, and a very watery grave. They weren't of course the only ones who never arrived, James Lester, 39, the uncle of the three lads, and also from the Town, didn't make it either. If anyone wants to add more details about any of the brothers, or Mr Lester, please let me know. Now if anyone is thinking of looking through the records, you won't find the Parents names. That because, using the compensation money, they themselves emmigrated, aboard the SS Carmania, which left Liverpool in Feb 1913. You can learn a whole lot more by visiting the Titanic Exhibition, at Averys Museum, Foundry Lane, Smethwick, Staffordshire.

--

April 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

They never stop do they, the conspiracy fanatics. This one came up last month in their Newsletter. ( yes, they do have one ) It is alleged that the ship that actually sank, was not the Titanic, but it's sister ship, Olympic. Apperantly, for obscure reasons, they suggest that the ships were swapped over for the maiden voyage, based on the " fact " that the propellers, fitted to the sunken ship, bear the numbers of the Olympic's propellers. Concidering that the company planned, and indeed did, build three vessels, all of which were almost, but not quite, indentical, it made sound economical sense, to cast all nine props at the same time. Which is indeed what they did.

Part numbers, in this case, were all the same, and as each ship needed to have its props machined and balanced, it made no difference which prop number was used, ( as six of them were all the same ) for whichever  ship was under construction. The Engines for all three, were also the same, as were a good many other parts, including the lifeboat davits. You could say, that when Britanic was launched, she was made up of spare parts left over from the other two ships. Some of the part numbers would have been the same as the first ship built, Olympic. Mind you, it's not quite as daft as the theory concerning the SS Waratah, which some believe, has been drifting helplessly somewhere in the Southern Ocean, ever since she went missing in 1909..

--

May 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

" It never rains but it pours ", goes the old saying, and now evidence comes to light, that Noah Hingley's, did not, actually make that Anchor, as claimed by so many. Most of it, was in fact, made at another famous firm, Walter Somers, at their Haywoods Forge, in Halesowen. Hingleys only actually made the Shackles, and the shank. This makes perfect sense, as Hingleys did not have the heavy press/hammer, neccessary to forge such a large piece of work, weighing in at over 8 tons. Indeed, Hingleys also supplied the Anchors for another ill fated ship, R.M.S Lusitania, in 1906, which again, were probably forged by Walter Somers, the shackles being made in Netherton. Perhaps someone would care to do a bit of research on the subject, and hopefully, come up with a photograph of the actual forging. Maybe, hidden away in an old Walter Somers order book, are the details of the contract with Hingleys, for all the work carried out. What a fascinating subject history is at times, you just never know what will pop up next. If true, that will put a different light altogether on the Titanic Story. I only have one last comment, Come on Halesowen, get searching.

Note.  The Lusitania was sunk by U-20, on the 7th May, 1915, off the Old Head of Kinsale.

--

July 9, 2012 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

" It never rains but it pours",  ( part two ) is the old saying, and as far as the Titanic story goes, it's probably true. Hitting the news this week, is a rather unseemly squabble between two Titanic Websites, over some pictures. It's apparently, a fierce and competitive market out there for any snippet of information concerning the ill fated vessel. Why on earth anyone, in their right minds, would lavish such attention on a rusting and fast disappearing lump of old scrap iron, defeats me. It's not that anyone could have a walk around it either. The spat this time, seems to centre on one individual, who has decided to insert a type of " Water Mark " , across the photographs he displays on his website. This apparently will prevent others from " stealing the images " via a quick download. He stands accused of claiming the rights to these pictures, most of which are freely available, should your interest in the matter rise above apathy level. Both of these groups are based somewhere in the Back Country, which isn't really much of a surprise, given the obssesion some folk have with claiming that anything famous, exploded, or even sunk, must have a regional connection. That old tatters cry of " any o'd Iron " springs to mind.

--

June 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Oh no, here we go again. ( well it gives me something to blast off about ) According to the Dudley News, some mean sprited indivdual has dabbed a spot of paint on a " work of art " alongside the Dudley No.2 Canal. It's dedicated, to " Noah Hingley's Stowable Anchor ", a bit of a misnomer to be honest, for if any anchor wasn't designed to stow away in the space provided, they were useless. It's a long way from the truth though to suggest that they were the most famous anchor makers in the World, and had captured most of the market. Concidering the financial problems that were always just around the corner, old Noah would have loved that bit. From the wording on this ' monument ', anyone would think that his old works encompassed most of the town of Netherton. " As Vast as a City ", says the artist, over which some wag wrote, " Who Cares ".  Someone has suggested, that the vandal who desecrated this fine work of art, (sic) had displayed not only contempt for the area and the Company, but also has insulted the passengers who lost their lives when the unsinkable ship that was named Titanic, went down. The name of the ship isn't even mentioned, just an overblown use of words to ramp up what was at best a steady employer of the area's menfolk. I did notice that there's no mention of how Noah made his early money, ( as it happens, as a Nail and Chainmaster ) the same people who made many working mans lives a total misery. Nor of his exploits as a mine owner. ( where many other lives were lost. ) Not so much a vandalised monument then, more a very few simple thoughts on the artists rendention of local history. While not condoning the damage, whoever expressed his, or indeed her, opinion, may have a very valid point. ( see; Black Country Characters ) I have had it suggested to me, that if the area was so famous for what Hingley's produced, why hasn't someone applied for World Heritage Status for Netherton. Now that would be case for some hysterical laughter.

--

August 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

For all those with a continued interest in the Unsinkable Titanic, here's a little bit that will make you think. No matter what the disaster is, even more so in our more modern times, there are folks who will go to any lengths to get in on the act. The theme of their claims always centers around the " it could have been me " theory. Most of them appear to have had a vision, or, an impending feeling of doom, that made them either, cancel the trip/ticket/, or some family problems made them late for the departure of Aircraft/Train/Ship. The Titanic was no exception, as the following will demonstrate.

The ship was built to accomodate, either 2,435 passengers, and 892 Crew. That equates to a total of 3,327, or 3,547 if you believe an alternative source.( Unreliable ) Following news of the sinking, and it spread quickly, for communications were quite speedy in 1912, one Newspaper began keeping an account of all those who wrote and said they had booked, but failed to board, or cancelled. They called the resulting count, " The Just Missed Club ". On the 26th April, just two weeks after the disaster, membership of this club, stood at the staggering figure of 118,337, just over 49 times the total, that the ship could carry. Now while it would be true to say, that some of those who claimed to have ' just missed drowning ', did indeed have such a claim, the figure is much nearer to 30. So next time you read a heartrending account, of someone who claims to only still be here due to a premonition/warning, about buying a ticket, or booking a passage on an ill-fated trip, remember the " Just Missed Club ".

--

September 21, 2014 at 3:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.