Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Tale's from the region. > Battle of Tipton Green.

Alaska.
Site Owner

Tipton Green, Civil War, Battle, Dudley Castle.

I can  never resist a bit of research, when someone raise's a really good question, and this, though a bit obscure, is a good one. There appears to be local tradition, held by a few of the older ones in Tipton, that the place was the scene of a Civil War Battle. There is of course absolutly nothing in the books to suggest this, and my appologies to the person concerned, when I advocated sticking to just fizzy drinks. There wasn't  a Battle, not as far as any records go, but this may be of interest. The year mentioned was 1644, and in that year, Charles I was in Shrewsbury, diffinately not Worcester. Further North, the town of York, was under siege by the Parliamentary forces, and Prince Rupert had been despatched by the King, with a about 18,000 men, to effect relief. Back down South, The Earl of Denbigh, had been ordered to head north into Cheshire, gathering men and supplies as he went, and then make for York, to reinforce the be-sieging Parliamentarians. It was customery, no matter which side it was, to steal, or to put it more politely, commandeer what was required. To this end, foraging parties went out ahead of the marching troops, returning when the wagons were full. As most Parliment forces did before the formation of the New Model Army, they only covered a short distance of about 10 miles a day, so finding them again, was not a problem. Following the old Roman Road, The Earl of Denbigh was somewhere around Muckly Corner, and one of the forage parties was in Walsall. Citizens soon became crafty when soldiers were about, and the picking were a bit thin, so this party ventured on to Wednesbury.  Riding around the district, to catch all people fleeing with Pigs under their arms, they found themselves in Tipton Green, right under the gaze of the Garrison of Dudley Castle, under the command of Colonel Beumont. Hastily scrambling out of their comfy beds, they flung themselves into their saddles, and spewed out of the Castle gates in a disordered rabble. Not often, did the Garrison of 200, got the chance to take on a handful of roundheads. In the event, it was a bit of a damp squib. Some of them, a little behind the others, took a wrong turn around the Castle Hill, and headed off towards Rowley Regis. The rest, now much reduced in numbers, made a half-hearted charge at the roundheads. This was swiftly repulsed, and after a a few more blows, and even more insults, both sides withdrew. The forager's carried off their booty, and the Royalist's from the Castle, managed to retained their dignity. It's not known what was said to the poor souls who got lost, perhaps they are still out there somewhere, going round and round in circles. Anyway, no harm done, and thus ended the Battle of Tipton Green.  Just for the record, in 1646 the roundheads came back, and this time, they demolished part of the old Castle. Well if they hadn't, we wouldn't have such a nice backdrop to the Zoo.

There is a Plaque, to mark this event, sited in Hurst Lane, on the wall of the Malthouse Stables. Just for the record, the ruins you now see, of Dudley Castle, are largely the result of a disasterous fire, rather than " The ruins that Cromwell knocked about a bit ".

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

July 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Also for the records, there is another reported " Battle ", this time, on the other side of the Castle, at the Old Priory. Now there doesn't appear to be a specific date for this second clash, but it makes sense, if it was during the siege of 1646, as the Castle was then surrounded. Saint Edmunds Church had been pulled down, on the orders of the Castle Commander, and the nasty roundheads would have needed somewhere to site a few guns, and take a " comfort break ", without being shot at. Its not at all clear though, with the exception of those in the Castle, just who was supporting whom in the civil struggle. Birmingham, strong supporters of Parliament, had been raided by Prince Rupert some time before, as they had refused to supply the Kings Army with weapons. A great many of the arms, guns, swords and breastplates, were made in and around Dudley, so it follows that many within shouting distance of the Castle, didn't support the King either. There are no lists of how many were involved in this second epic, but the Castle garrison was only a couple of hundred men at the most. I'm not suggesting that it never happened, merely that what actually happened may have been a bit exaggerated. ( well, now I have mentioned it, maybe a lot ) There were a great many places in Dudley, that served Beer to anyone with money, and even godfearing church going Roundhead troops needed refreshments. Perhaps the fight was over whose turn it was to pay for the next round, for there's nothing more a Blackcountry man hates, than a man who ducks his round (head).

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

March 1, 2013 at 3:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.