Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > Mark Round's Timber Merchants of Old HIll & Cradley Heath

Woody123
Hi, First time poster here so hello to all. I just wondered if many older forum members can remember Mark Round's Timber Merchants based in the Old Hill & Cradley Heath area from the mid 1890's to possibly the 1950's. The Timber Merchants itself was in 3 locations, those were Lawrence Lane in Cradley Heath, Plant Street, Old hill, and also New Street also in Old Hill. Mark Noah Thomas Round was born at 48 Cinder Bank, Netherton in 1868 and married Sarah Pittaway on 4th March 1888 at St Thomas's Church in Dudley. Mark, Sarah and family moved to Old Hill in the mid 1890's and that's when I think he started his business. Mark's children were Mark, Samuel, Sarah & Thomas. Following the death of Mark's wife Sarah in 1906 whilst visiting family in Northumberland, Mark then married Florence Talbot in 1907. Mark and Florence lived on Barrs Road, Cradley Heath for a short time until moving to Hernes Nest in Bewdley. Any info on the Timber Merchant business or the family itself would be a great help. Thanks for reading.
--
January 14, 2017 at 6:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Woody123
A little more about Mark Noah Thomas Round's children. His son Samuel Round (1894) left the family timber merchant business in 1924. Just a few years earlier on 3rd May 1921 he married Maude Kendrick at Dudley Register Office. On the 1939 register Sam is listed as an "Old Bagging & Waste Dealer" living at 7A Cardale Street in Blackheath ( near to where the Lidl is now). Mark's daughter Sarah (my great-grandmother) married George Wilfred Wood on 6th July 1918 at Dudley Register office. George was toolsetter and striker at the tube fittings. He also served in World war two. They first lived on Regis Road, Blackheath and then a few years later moved to 101 Oldbury Road, Blackheath (near to the junction with pencricket lane). Sarah died on Christmas day 1967. George died 25th November 1965. Mark NT Round Jnr married Lilian Price 20th September 1919 at Stourbridge register office. Mark carried on the Timber merchant business. On the 1939 register he and Lilian lived at 46 Grange Road, Halesowen. Mark died in March 1970.
January 14, 2017 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Just a few little snippets that may help Woody. George W Wood, given where he lived, was probably employed at ' The Globe Works ', situated behind the market, with the main entrance on Cardale Street, Blackheath. It was taken over by Pittaways in the 1950s, whose main works were in Clifton Road, (off Belgrave Road ) near Shell Corner, Blackheath. In Belgrave Road, and this may be a coincidence, there was, when I was a lad, what was called the " Bag Works ", one of my cousins worked there when she left school in the early 1950s. There is an arial photo of the Globe Works, ( in my Blackheath album ) and a picture of the employee's and Boss of the Bag Works in the Hill and Cakemore photo album. I should point out, before a few of my members do, that all the locations you listed for the Timber Merchants, are in fact in Old Hill, and not Cradley Heath. I do vaguely remember a Timber Yard in Lawrence Lane, we passsed it when visting my aunt, who lived near the old Railway Bridge. I have better memories of the Saw Mills though, one off Waterfall Lane by the Canal, and the other, ( and bigger one ) just before Old Hill Station, in Station Road. ( almost opposite the Boat Inn ) It had an enormous pile of wood shaving in the yard, an irristable playground to us kids. Your relative would of course have been a regular customer of both I suppose. If anything comes up during research about your family, I will be sure to let you know.

Regards, Dennis.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

January 16, 2017 at 9:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Woody123
Thanks for that Dennis.
February 1, 2017 at 1:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.