Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > Edwin Dunn B. Kingswinford or Brierley Hill 1850

benody1921
I've hit a brick wall with my 2nd great grandfather, Edwin Dunn. I can't locate a death record for him and was hoping for some assistance. Here is what I know of him: Born in 1850 to Elijah Dunn (labourer and Stock Taker) and Ann Dunn née Westwood. They lived on Delph Road in Brierley Hill. Baptised June 12th, 1853 at Holy Trinity in Amblecote. Married June 24th, 1872 at Saint Kenelms to Betsy Brooks, daughter of Samuel Brooks and Elizabeth Brooks née Pardoe. In 1881 he lived with Betsy and her mother in Wollescote. He was a bucket maker. In 1891 he is on the admission roll for Crabbe Street Infant School. He lives at Careless Green. He enrolls his son, George Harry B Dunn (my great grandad). George later went by George Harry Dunn. It is quite possible George was adopted as I have not been able to find a birth record for him. My grandad had also been told that his dad (George) had been taken in by a family member. So if anyone can help me with that I'd appreciate it. He was born August 28th, 1883 or 1884 (more likely 1883) in Lye or Wollescote. Back to Edwin... Edwin is listed in the Directories as a Bucket maker or a galvanizer (specializing in bucket making), living at Careless Green. The last mention of him is in 1892. He's in the directory but he's also mentioned in Elizabeth Brook's Will. She died in early 1892 and left a large sum of money to Betsy. Just over £500. Edwin is only mentioned as Betsy's husband. It says: Betsy Dunn (wife of Edwin Dunn). So she isn't widowed at the time. I haven't been able to find Edwin in the 1891 Census. Betsy is living with her mother and George is living with the Hyron family. I don't know where Edwin was. Maybe there was a transcription error. Then in 1901 and 1911, Betsy and George are living together and Betsy is a widow. In 1911 she has 20 years down for completed years of marriage. She has left the number of children born, living and died blank which is another reason I think George had been taken in. If she had completed 20 years of marriage, the marriage would have ended around 1892. I can't find a death record for Edwin so I wonder if he took off. I have a death certificate for a Betsy Dunn. I'm not sure if it's my Betsy or not. The certificate Betsy died in 1928 at age 79 which matches up with my Betsy. She had been living on King Street in Wollescote when she died from shock after burns to her right side, right arm, and right leg from her kitchen grate. She died a few days later on Stream Street in Kingswinford. She is called the Widow of Edward Dunn (iron plate worker). So to sum up my questions: - what happened to Edwin? - could George have been adopted and how would I find out? - is the certificate Betsy the right Betsy? I'm not from the UK so any fun facts about any of the places I named would be nice too. Thanks!
December 5, 2016 at 11:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Edwin Dunn, born in late1849, Stourbridge, Worcestershire. Died in Stourbridge, aged 48, in 1887 ( He was actually born very late in 1849 ). Registration details, Stourbridge Register Office, Volume 6, Page 76. George Dunn. Five born, all with the same name, between 1883, and 1886.  There is a birth in Stourbridge, in June 1883, two births in Stourbridge, both in June 1884, Another birth of a George Dunn in September of the same year, and a George Frederick Dunn as well. I hope that helps, sorry I can't do more.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

December 7, 2016 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.