Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > Kinver, and the Rock Houses.

Alaska.
Site Owner

The old rock hewn houses have been in the news just lately, some of them having undergone a bit of much needed restoration. Kinver, of course, has long been a favourite spot forBlack Country families, out for a day in the fresh air of the countryside. The walk to Kinver Edge. past the old wooden Tea and cake establishment, with it's penny in the slot machines on the wall, took the walker right past the old rock houses.

I well remember, in the early 1950s, at least two of them were still occupied.

The Picture, taken about 1896, shows the old well, which is still there to this day. The question is, would anyone care to venture a name for the rather portly gentleman standing in the doorway. 

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

October 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pedro

Alaska. at October 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM

The old rock hewn houses have been in the news just lately, some of them having undergone a bit of much needed restoration. Kinver, of course, has long been a favourite spot forBlack Country families, out for a day in the fresh air of the countryside. The walk to Kinver Edge. past the old wooden Tea and cake establishment, with it's penny in the slot machines on the wall, took the walker right past the old rock houses.

The Picture, taken about 1896, shows the old well, which is still there to this day. The question is, would anyone care to venture a name for the rather portly gentleman standing in the doorway. 

I tried to search for the chap the 1891 census for Kinver, but to no avail.

I also searched in the Newspaper Archives around that time. What did strike me was that there seemed to be quite a bit of interest in the Holy Austin Rock dwellings, which I believe was due to a new novel that featured the Rock...

Bladys: A Woman of Courage by S Baring-Gould

Perhaps the picture was part of the public interest of the time!

October 10, 2015 at 6:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

I don't suppose I will have any luck with the lady in this later picture either. The date given is the mid 1930s, but the style of dress puts it very much earlier.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

October 10, 2015 at 9:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pedro

Alaska. at October 8, 2015 at 8:24 AM

From the Sketch 1905 the chap is given as an Octigenarian Mr Fletcher at his cave door.

All the best Pedro.

December 15, 2016 at 11:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.