Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Halesowen and Hasbury History. > Halesowen. Help required.

Alaska.
Site Owner

There are three subjects which could do with a bit of imput on the website, so if you have any information, please contact me. If you wish to remain anonymous, please use the Contact Me Button, and your message will appear in my private inbox. I should add, at this stage, that I was born in Halesowen, and I will continue to include, any interesting stories that I find, or am told about the area, regardless, of those who believe that they have exclusive rights to the Towns history.

The first subject is about Two Windmills, that were erected in Lower Hasbury, prior to 1780, just off the Hagley Road, near to the Quarry. From 1796, it was owned and operated by one William Grove, who was still there in the 1840s. A copy of the bill of sale is still in existance, and the history can be read in the Manor Of Halesowen section. Any further details would be appreciated.

The second, is a bit more modern, and involves Bernard Sidney Bray, his father, Sidney James Bray, and a Dudley inventor, Walter Davies. Bernard was the owner and manager of the Electric Picture Palace, in Townsend Halesowen, and a flying Officer with 223 Squadron Air Training Cadets in Halesowen during the last War. He and Walter ( Wally Davies ) collaborated on many projects, and once again, anyone with any more details than in the story on the website, please get in touch.The full story can be read in my Beliefs and other Oddities section, und er the heading, The Dudley Inventor.

The third one is about some of Halesowens great entertainers in the 1930s/40/and50s. I have listed several, in the Bit of Humour postings, and if they are your relatives or you know of others I haven't mentioned, do get in touch.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

June 3, 2014 at 3:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

This is another tale I need a little help with. J.E.Woodhall and Company, were, it appears, a firm based in Hasbury, who manufactured Hardware. Certainly in 1915. Now one morning, a man named as John George Woodhall, ( presumably connected to the factory owner ) was making his rounds of the workplace. It was a noisy and messy workplace, for there were then no safety rules that you and I would understand. For some reason, he failed to see a bar of iron on the floor, and consequently slipped and fell. As is natural, he flung out his arms to break his fall, and in so doing, his arm was dragged, and trapped in a machine. Not for long though, for it neatly cut off his hand at the wrist. Does anyone know what relationship he held with the factory owner, and does anyone remember working for him. Please, no jokes about being his right-hand man.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

August 12, 2014 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.