Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Can you Help ? > All Staffs Dance Band Championship

Julie W

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to find out more about this photo for ages (it has become something of an obsession now!) I’d love to know who the musicians are & am hopeful that someone will see it who knows one or all of their names. The board at the front reads "Dennis R Hinton and his band, winners of the All Staffs Best Small Band Trophy 1942 and other cups at the All Staffs Dance Band Championship, Wolverhampton". Larry Stephens, from Quinton, is at the piano (& presumably Dennis R Hinton features among them!) but who are the others? The only other fact I’ve been able to ascertain is that one or some of them were from Handsworth. Many thanks, Julie

January 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Lets see Julie, if any of the following information stirs a few memories for some of the older members of the website. The photograph was taken in one of the function rooms of the Uplands Inn, Oxhill Road, Handsworth.

It was the base for this small band, and they regulary used it for practice as well. I knew the room quite well, having hired it on several occasions for Annual General meetings. ( It was demolished a few years ago )  One member was a Thomas Hall, remembered by an elderly neighbour, many years ago, when recounting her days of dancing during the War. He lived in the same road as another band member she only remembered as Arthur. The War seems to have split them up, for they weren't about in 1944. Dennis R Hinton, born in June,1923, at 115, Uplands Road Handsworth, the only child of Howard and Violet Hinton, ( He died in 1966, she died in 1943, a short time after the picture was taken ) and at the time of the picture, they were living at 77, Rookery Road, Handsworth. ( The house having narrowly been missed by a bomb which destroyed several others, and killed the inhabitants. )  At the time they won that Championship, Dennis would have been about 19, which narrows it down to two men in the picture, the others being a bit older. The older man, standing at the back, in the black jacket, is Howard Hinton, wearing his old regimental tie, and the drummer bears a remarkable resemblance to him. Mind you, that may be just my imagination. Now Dennis married in 1946, to a woman that he had known from an early age. Her name at marriage was Queenie Newman-Solloway, she, for reasons unknown, adding her married sisters name to hers, ( and by a strange coincidence, a person of that name lived at number 73, Rookery Road, at the start of the War in 1939) Although his father Howard is recorded at the address on the voters list after 1945, Dennis isn't, but a man with the same name, appears on voting lists in Croydon London, in the 1950s. I have yet to find a registered death for Dennis R Hinton, which may mean he is still alive aged 90 somewhere. He doesn't appear to have any children, but like a great many marriages after the war, things may not have worked out very well. I hope all this is of some use, and I will pass on the info to a friend who has more than a passing interest in the local history. I will also pass on Dennis's father's WW1 war records, for he has a distinguished army career.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Julie W

Thank for such a very helpful reply. I can't begin to describe just how happy it has made me to finally have some more information about the band!

September 1, 2014 at 11:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Barbara Cook

Julie W at January 12, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Hi everyone, I’ve been trying to find out more about this photo for ages (it has become something of an obsession now!) I’d love to know who the musicians are & am hopeful that someone will see it who knows one or all of their names. The board at the front reads "Dennis R Hinton and his band, winners of the All Staffs Best Small Band Trophy 1942 and other cups at the All Staffs Dance Band Championship, Wolverhampton". Larry Stephens, from Quinton, is at the piano (& presumably Dennis R Hinton features among them!) but who are the others? The only other fact I’ve been able to ascertain is that one or some of them were from Handsworth. Many thanks, Julie

Dennis Hinton Band were Birmingham District Champions

January 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.