Black Country Muse

Subtitle

Forums

Forum Home > Halesowen and Hasbury History. > Halesowen Cheating Teacher.

Alaska.
Site Owner

Exactly one hundred years ago today, a young male child entered the world, kicking and screaming as the new born do. The 29th December,1913, was possibly a cold day, but give it 37 years, and the lad would find himself in a bit of hot water. Norman Montfort Neale, not one of my clan I think, well not with a name like that anyway. He did well at school, ( Halesowen Grammer ), and went to do some teacher training, although I'm not sure what he did during the War. Whatever it was, he must have been sent abroad, for he married one Joan L Crump, in December, 1939. He rose in the teaching proffession, becoming an Assistant Head Teacher at Halesowen County School. The pay of teachers after the war was not especially high, so to suppliment his income, Norman Montfort Neale devised a little scheme; he would start a corespondence school. Nothing wrong with that you might think, but this was not something the Education Committee allowed. Certainly not one that offered to coach, for the Selective Examination, which could lead a young child on to the sort of education he had enjoyed. A Grammer School. This was precisely the job he was already supposed to be doing at the County School, and there was a direct conflict with his role. He did not tell the Education Committee of this, and had soon enroled several of his own pupils on his coaching course. Those children whose parents could afford the fee's that is. Now I know that kinds of things go on today, for everyone wants the best for their children, but the selection examination was supposed to test children on their ability, not how well they had been coached. In other words, he was cheating the system, and getting paid for it as well. So how good, some may ask, were his own teaching methods, and did he really do his best to teach those in his classroom. Lords knows how many, who hadn't learnt much in school, managed, with this extra coaching, to gain a place at a Grammer School. Particulary, Halesowen Grammer School. If he had dropped the matter after a while, he might have been OK, but he began to advertise around the Country. The one shown is from a newspaper in Hull.

He was summoned to an interview with the Committee. After fully explaining the rules regarding such matters, he was invited to cease the correspondence course's. He refused. He was advised that under the circumstances, he would be required to resign. He again refused. In April, 1950, he was immediately sacked from his postion at Halesowen County School. Has anyone got any further information on Norman Montfort Neale, who resided in Carol Cresent, Halesowen from the 1950s to the time of death in 1983.

As I said, it seems such a small thing today, but there are those out in this big world, who failed to get a place at Halesowen Grammer School on their merit and ability, due to this blatant underhanded cheating.

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

December 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Alaska.
Site Owner

Well, thanks to what can only be described as a stroke of pure luck, I have located where Norman Neale next taught. In 1956, he was on the staff at Rowley Regis County Secondary School. ( otherwise known as Britannia Road ) He is the the third one from the left, on the middle row, in the picture below. Now, but for a request from a member regarding the whareabouts of any Staff pictures, I wouldn.t have found that out. I wonder if he continued with the private coaching?

--

A wonderful thing is work, I could watch it all day.  ( See my Blog entry )

May 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.